Heroic eight year old girl saves her mum from horrific burns after first aid lessons at school
Clever Ella Rake, 8, has become a hero after her quick-thinking and first aid lessons in school helped save her mum from horrific burns and scars.
Mum Vicky Patmore, 32, from Birchington, Kent, was cooking beef ravioli when it suddenly exploded all over her face and chest.
However, it was lucky Ella was there. Vicky told The Daily Mail: “I was in a bad way and she just knew what to do straight away. I had gone into a state of shock.”
Because of Ella’s quick thinking Vicky has been saved from more serious burns and scarring.
On seeing the accident, Ella immediately called an ambulance and told her mum to have a cool shower and wrap her burns in clingfilm. Paramedics said she has saved her mum from more serious injuries and scarring.
Ella has been attending an after school club where she’s been learning first aid. She said: “We have just learnt about burns, so that’s how I knew what to do. When the ambulance arrived the man told my mum I had done the right thing.”
In an even more amazing twist it’s not the first time Ella has saved her mum. In 2010, Vicky suffered a heart attack and 5-year-old Ella managed to call an ambulance.
Even though it seems pre-destined, Ella doesn’t have ambitions to be a doctor. She explains: “I’d like to be a zoo keeper when I’m older, as I want to look after animals. I don’t want to be a vet, as I wouldn’t like to cut an animal open. I don’t want to be a doctor, either, because I don’t like people being sick.”
Vicky added: “I am really grateful to the school for teaching first aid. Thank heavens for those classes.”
We can hardly believe how well Ella dealt with this emergency! We’d like to wish Vicky a speedy recovery and congratulate Ella on her quick thinking.
Do you think first aid lessons should be compulsory in schools? Have your children ever been in an emergency situation. Tell us your stories or leave your comments below.