Nation’s favourite children’s book character revealed
It’s World Book Day today and the top 10 characters children across the UK will be dressing up as today have been released! Can you guess who’s been named the nation’s favourite?
The answer’s Harry Potter (won’t JK Rowling be pleased!) who’s taken the number one spot in a survey by Amazon UK of 2,000 children and their parents, ahead of classic characters like Winnie the Pooh and The Big Friendly Giant.
Other characters to make the top 10 include Julia Donaldson’s The Gruffalo, Jacqueline Wilson’s Tracey Beaker and Roald Dahl’s Charlie Bucket. The survey also found that 56 per cent of parents read to their children every night and children spend an average of 27 minutes a day reading on their own. Over one in three children (42%) said they even preferred reading on their own to reading with parents.
The list of British Children’s Top 10 Favourite Book Characters is this:
1. Harry Potter (Harry Potter Series, JK Rowling)
2. The Gruffalo (The Gruffalo, Julia Donaldson)
3. Matilda (Matilda, Roald Dahl)
4. The BFG (The BFG, Roald Dahl)
5. Winnie The Pooh (Winnie The Pooh, A.A. Milne)
6. Tracey Beaker (Tracey Beaker Series, Jaqueline Wilson)
7. Paddington Bear (Paddington Bear, Michael Bond)
8. Charlie Bucket (Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl)
9. Peter Rabbit (Peter Rabbit Series, Beatrix Potter)
10. Alice In Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
Are you surprised by the survey’s findings? And did your child’s favourite character make it into the list? We’d love to know whether your child is dressing up for World Book Day. Send us your pictures via our Facebook and Twitter pages.