Hot Topics

Parents warned of hair straighteners risk

Parents warned of hair straighteners risk

They form part of the daily beauty routine for many, but new figures highlight the risks hair straighteners pose to children. They were responsible for a worrying 1 in 20 hospital admissions for children’s burns last year, among little ones as young as 2!

As the BBC reports, data from the international burns injury database show the cosmetic appliances were responsible for 392 child admissions to specialist units in the UK in 2015. And the charity Electrical Safety First says the majority of accidents happen when toddlers touch, grab or tread on hot hair straightener plates. We know how inquisitive they can be!

Did you know the plates can reach 220C, hotter than household appliances such as an iron at 180C, and they can still cause burns up to 15 minutes after being turned off? Emma Apter from Electrical Safety First is quoted as saying: "Parents have to juggle many tasks in the morning and while we don't want to add to that list, it is vital that hair straighteners are kept out of reach of small hands and feet. We are urging manufacturers to play their part in protecting consumers by providing safe storage for their products.”

Little ones are at greater risk of burns because their skin is thinner, so it’s worth remember this warning as you child-proof your home.

Post Your Comment
comments powered by Disqus