Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Amaretto Cheesecake Recipe
When you think of Italian desserts the tiramisu instantly springs to mind, but trust us, this alternative will definitely go down a hit in your house.
For those who want all the flavours of Italy, with a litte naughty kick of amaretto, we’ve got the perfect recipe which combines these flavours with the humble cheesecake.
Everyone loves this so make sure you get a slice quickly, before it disappears!
200g/7oz digestive biscuits, finely crushed
55g/2oz butter, melted
500g/1lb 2oz cream cheese
40g/1 ½oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz single cream
200ml/7fl oz double cream
2 large eggs, separated
100ml/4fl oz Amaretto
1 sachet of powdered gelatin
4 tbsp water
3 tbsp flaked almonds, slightly toasted
20g/1oz dark chocolate, melted
1. Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and press into a deep spring form tin and refrigerate.
2. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese, egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
3. Add the single and double creams and Amaretto and cream together.
4. Put the water into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle over the powdered gelatin and leave for about 5 minutes or until spongy.
5. Dissolve the gelatin mixture over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until clear then leave to cool slightly.
6. Gradually beat the gelatin into the cheese mixture ensuring it’s evenly distributed.
7. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks and carefully fold into the cheese mixture.
8. Pour on top of the biscuit base and chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible.
9. To finish sprinkle the toasted almonds on top and drizzle with the melted chocolate.
To make this friendly for fussier eaters substitute the Amaretto for coffee and use milk instead of dark chocolate!