Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Applewood Chicken & Pasta Bake
Applewood, the cheese makers, has treated us to this fantastic recipe, which is a Chicken and Pasta Bake. Just follow the steps below for amazing results!
- 300g pasta, such as rigatoni
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 350g mixed vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, sweetcorn, peppers or green beans cut into bite sized pieces
- 300g cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
For the sauce:
- 550ml milk
- 30g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 125g Applewood, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 50g Applewood, grated
- In a large pan, heat the oil and sauté the onions for 5 minutes until softened. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions in plenty of lightly salted water. Four minutes before the pasta should be cooked, increase the heat and add the prepared vegetables to the water and simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C, 160˚C fan, gas mark 4.
- To make the sauce, pour the milk into the same pan that the onions were sautéed in and add the butter and flour. Heat over a medium heat, stirring continuously. Within a few minutes as the milk reaches simmering point, you will have a smooth but thin sauce. Remove from the heat and add the grated Applewood. The cheese will soon melt and can be easily stirred in to create a smooth sauce. Season to taste.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and tip into the cheese sauce along with the chicken, vegetables and parsley. Mix well and pour everything into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the grated Applewood and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the topping is golden brown.
We’d love to hear how you get on with this recipe! And don’t forget to get your Applewood cheese from here!