Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Bank Holiday Baking Recipes
Whether you fancy a good old pud or you’d just like to bake a cake, we have the perfect recipes for you and your family.
Pina Colada Fro-Yo
Serves 4-6 people - Cooks in 10 minutes plus 30 minutes freezing time
• 250g Greek-style coconut yoghurt
• 500g frozen chopped tropical fruit, such as pineapple, mango and banana
• 75g dried tropical fruit
• 4-6 ice cream scones
1. Add the yoghurt and frozen fruit to a food processor and blitz until smooth, then finely chop and fold through most of the dried fruit saving some to serve.
2. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a large star-shaped nozzle then freeze for about 30 minutes, or until frozen but still soft.
3. Pop the fruity fro-yo into your ice cream cones and scatter over the reserved dried fruit.
Red Nose Red Velvet Cupcakes
Serves 12 cooks in 25 mins
Ingredients (For the cupcakes)
• 225g unsalted butter
• 225g unrefined golden caster sugar
• 190g Plain white flour
• 10g Baking powder
• 3 eggs
• 1tbsp Vanilla extract
• 35g Cocoa powder
• 1 ½ tbsp Red food colouring gel
For the buttercream
• 500g icing sugar
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 250g butter
• 12 Glace cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4) and line a 12 whole cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the beaten eggs one by one and the vanilla extract, mixing well between each one to ensure that the mixture doesn’t curdle.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder and carefully fold in until just incorporated. Do not overmix. Then add the red food colour gel and carefully mix until distributed evenly through the batter.
4. Spoon into the cupcake cases until they are 2/3rds full then place in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cakes are springy to touch.
5. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and then transfer to a cooling wire to cool completely.