Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
BBC Good Food American Recipes
As it’s Independence Day in the US, we thought we’d put together a couple of our favourite American recipes from the BBC Good Food website. We hope you like them!
Why not try a twist on American-style marshmallow and chocolate s’mores by swapping the traditional crackers for malted biscuits?
Malt Hot Chocolate S’mores
• 16 malted milk biscuits
• 8 squares of milk chocolate
• 8 marshmallows
1. Preheat the grill to high and line a large baking sheet with parchment. Put all 16 malted milks on the tray with a square of milk chocolate on 8 and a marshmallow on the remaining 8. Grill until both are melting.
2. Sandwich the two different types on top of each other until oozing at the edges and eat white, hot or dunked in a hot chocolate for extra chocolatey flavour!
Maple-glazed Hot Dogs with Mustardy Onions
• 8 good quality sausages
• 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 1tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
• 2 tbsp. maple syrup
• 4 part baked mini baguettes (or cut a French stick into 4 pieces)
• 1tbsp Dijon mustard
• Large pinch of brown muscovado sugar
• 2 tsp wine or cider vinegar
1. Heat the oven to 200/180C fan/gas 6. Place the sausages on a non-stick baking tray and roast for 20 mins. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onions and mustard seeds together for 10-15 minutes until soft and golden.
2. Remove the sausages and brush with maple syrup. Pop the baguettes onto the same baking tray. Increase the oven to 220/200C fan/gas 7 and return the tray for 5-8 minutes until the sausages are dark, shiny and cooked all the way through. Stir the mustard, sugar and vinegar into the onions until the sugar has melted.
3. Cut the baguettes open across the top and put 2 sausages into each. Spoon over the mustardy onions and serve.