Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Beach Picnic ideas
We Love Picnics! Why not try some of these fun picnic ideas for a twist on traditional foods; you’ll be surprised how easy they are.
Don’t forget to put your snacks in in a tightly shut container if you’re going to the beach, no one wants sandy sandwiches!
Pizza Puff Pinwheels- makes 12
- 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 6 tbsp readymade pasta sauce
- 150g grated cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 1tsp mixed herbs
1. Preheat oven to fan 180°C. Unroll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to 40cm x 32cm. Spread a layer of pasta sauce over it, leaving a 1cm border around the edges. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the sauce. NB: you can also add fresh chopped tomatoes, ham, mushrooms or sweet corn here if you like!
2. Starting at one of the short ends, roll the pastry up as tightly as possible. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes or so.
3. Take a knife and cut the roll into 12 equal slices, laying them flat on 2 non-stick baking trays as you go. Brush each pinwheel lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle over the herbs. Bake for 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden.
Flapjacks- makes 12
- 175g butter
- 175g golden syrup
- 175g muscovado sugar
- 350g porridge oats
- ½ lemon, finely grated zest
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C and line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a medium pan over a low heat. Dip a brush in the butter and brush the baking tin with a little bit of it. Add the golden syrup and sugar to the butter and heat gently. Once the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the porridge oats, lemon zest and ginger.
3. Pack the mixture into the baking tin and squash down. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
4. Once cooked, remove from the oven, leave to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a chopping board and cut into squares.
Rainbow Fruit Kebabs- makes 7
- 7 raspberries
- 7 strawberries
- 7 tangerine segments
- 7 cubes of mango
- 7 pineapple chunks
- 7 kiwi chunks
- 7 green grapes
- 7 red grapes
- 14 blueberries
1. Arrange the fruit on Kebab sticks in the order listed in the ingredients. Adding one chunk of each to each kebab and 2 blueberries at the bottom.