Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Best autumn cake recipe- Pumpkin cake galore!
Ingredients- Makes one 9-inch cake
For the cake:
• 220g all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2teaspoon baking soda
• 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 200g 2 tablespoons (9 ounces) pumpkin purée
• 1cup vegetable oil
• 220g sugar
• 3/4teaspoon salt
• 3large eggs, at room temperature, yolks and whites separated
For the frosting and the caramelized pumpkin seeds:
• 9 tablespoons butter
• 230g cream cheese
• 300g powdered sugar
• Pinch of cinnamon
• 1tablespoon sugar
• 200g pumpkin seeds- we love Munchy Seeds Pumpkin Power mix! ( available from Waitrose)
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C and position a rack in the centre. Butter and line a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves into a bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the pumpkin, oil, sugar, and salt. Add the egg yolks one at a time, waiting for one yolk to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
4. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth.
5. In a different bowl Whisk the three egg whites until they are frothy and white. Fold them into the batter, be careful not to over mix. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake. checking after 40 minutes. removing it when a toothpick or thin knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in its pan for at least 20 minutes before removing.
6. FOR THE FROSTING: Beat together 8 tablespoons of the butter and the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the powdered and beat until the frosting is smooth. Add a pinch of cinnamon, and beat the frosting until incorporated.
7. FOR THE PUMPKIN SEEDS: In a small saucepan over medium heat, caramelize a tablespoon of sugar until it is a reddish-brown color. You'll want to stir the melted parts of the sugar towards the middle while avoiding over-stirring, which can turn the mixture dry and crumbly. Once the sugar is dark, add the last tablespoon of butter and stir quickly until it has melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the pumpkin seed mix and stir until they're evenly coated in sauce. Transfer the seeds to a plate lined with parchment paper so that they cool and harden.
8. Frost the cake when it is completely cool. Break up the pumpkin seeds using your hands, and sprinkle them on top of the cake.