Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Big Taste Test: Desserts and after-dinner cheeses
What better way to end your Christmas gluttony fest than with a delicious sweet treat post? Your stomach might be bursting but a little something for your sweet tooth won’t hurt, right? Plus, this level of indulgence only happens once a year. We’ve picked out some show-stopping desserts and cheeses that will have you and your guests reaching for the Christmas after dinner platter.
1. Morrisons Best Port and Orange Christmas Pudding 800g. £7.00. Rich spiced fruit pudding, laced with port, brandy and cider, with a hidden centre of port and orange sauce, decorated with glacé orange edible glitter.
2. Walkers Mini Mince Pies: £2.95. These mini mince pies have the perfect ration of luxury mincemeat and all butter pastry and are the perfect size when you can’t fit in a full size pie.
3. Warrens Bakery Mince Pie Pasty £38 for 10. Try them you’ll be hooked. They may be expensive but these little belters are a pudding and custard all in one.
4. Morrisons hand decorated Christmas Cake: £10. Understated and Stylish this is a spiced all-butter cake with fruit and zesty citrus peel, infused with brandy and cognac.
5. Tesco decorate your own gingerbread house: £4.00. A sweet treat that is an after dinner activity for the kids too. Every Christmas cupboard should have one.
6. Tesco Finest Cheese Truckle Tower: £6.00. For an instant festive cheeseboard this tower consists of three waxed cheese truckles; - Three Coastal bite Cheddar, Wensleydale with cranberries and blueberries and cave aged goat's cheese coated in wax.
7. Jarlsberg Cheese – various prices. When we took delivery of the Norseland cheese bundle we knew at least one would make the cut. Our favourite the holey Jarlsberg. All good supermarkets.