Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Flowerpot chocolate chip muffins
How yummy do these double chocolate chip muffins look?! We came across this recipe on the BBC Good Food website while looking for a fun bake for kids to get involved with in the kitchen. They’re decorated with cute rice paper flowers, perfect for kids and for celebrating the start of spring, too!
You will need mini terracotta pots measuring 57mm wide and 50mm tall which you should be able to find at your local garden centre or online, and make sure you thoroughly wash and dry the pots before using!
• 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• 125g plain flour
• 1 tea spoon
• 25g cocoa powder
• 100g golden caster sugar
• 1 large egg
• 100ml milk
• 150g milk chocolate chips
• 25g chocolate cake decorations such as vermicelli sprinkles or chocolate-coated popping candy
• 20 rice paper wafer daisies
You will need
10 mini terracotta pots
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly oil the inside of the terracotta pots with a little vegetable oil and place on a baking tray. Place a paper mini muffin case in the bottom of each pot.
2. Put the flour, baking powder and cocoa in a bowl and stir in the sugar.
3. Crack the egg into a jug and whisk with the milk and remaining oil. Pour this over the flour and cocoa mixture, and stir in with 50g of the chocolate chips. Be careful not to overmix – you want a loose but still quite lumpy mixture. Spoon into the pots up to three-quarters full. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 12-15 mins until risen and firm. Transfer to a wire rack (still in the pots) and leave to cool.
4. Put the rest of the chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt over a small pan of gently simmering water (don’t let the water touch the bowl), or put in a microwave-proof bowl and heat on High for 1 min until melted.
5. Spread the tops of the muffins with the melted chocolate. Sprinkle over the chocolate decorations and add 2 rice paper wafer daisies to each pot to serve. Will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.