Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Fresh Handmade Spaghetti with Arrabbiata Sauce
This month, Simone Remoli has asked us to make fresh handmade spaghetti with arrabbiata sauce. This easy to follow recipe (written in his own style) will make a perfect meal for your friends and family for any occasion.
FOR THE FRESH PASTA
• 300g plain white flour
• 2 large whole eggs
• 4 egg yolks
1. To prepare your pasta dough, pour the flour on your table, make a small well and crack the eggs in the centre. Mix together slowly with a fork, whilst incorporating the flour. Start to knead your mixture with your hands for 7-8 minutes until the dough is no longer sticky. Once you have completed this, rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
2. With a rolling pin (or using a pasta machine), make your pasta mixture super thin! Next, create square pasta sheets with the rough measurements of 20cm x 20cm. Pour some flour on to the pasta sheets and roll them up. Cut your roll thinly to make pasta strips.
FOR THE SAUCE
• 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
• 2 chopped green chilies
• 1 small onion
• 5 stoneless green olives
• 800g fresh plum tomatoes
• 300g tinned tomatoes
• Pinch of salt
• Handful basil and parsley mix
1. Place your chopped garlic and onion in a pan, and allow them to sweat with half a glass of good extra virgin olive oil over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add in your green olives.
2. Chop your fresh plum tomatoes and add to the pan. Cook for at least 15 minutes. You will eventually see that the tomatoes will release some juices, when this happens add your 300g of tinned tomatoes, then add salt to taste and bring to boil in a slow heat.
3. Leave the sauce cooking for 45 minutes until it becomes thick.
4. Add the basil and the parsley and mix with a hand blender until the mixture becomes smooth.
5. Boil the pasta for 3 minutes in salted boiling water. Put the cooked pasta into the hot sauce and stir it with a spoon and them plate them up. A drizzle of olive oil on top and ENJOY!