Fun Facts about hedgehogs
New to the Little Live Pets range this spring are the super adorable, loveable, Lil’ Hedgehogs! These new pets are cute and fun rolled into one and each has its own personality.
Spring is the time that hedgehogs wake up from hibernation and so you might see them in your garden or at the park from around March. Below are our top ten fun facts about these cute critters so if you do come across one when out and about you can impress your little ones with all your knowledge!
1. A group of hedgehogs is called an Array!
2. In some states of America it is illegal to keep a hedgehog as a pet.
3. Each hedgehog has between 5000 and 7000 quills. (That’s their spikes!)
4. There are 17 different species of hedgehogs.
5. Hedgehogs get their name from the habitat they like to live in (Hedges) and the pig–like grunts they make!
6. There used to be such a thing as the International Hedgehog Olympic Games (IHOG).
7. Baby Hedgehogs are called Hoglets – cute!
8. Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant, so don’t give them milk if they come to your garden!
9. Despite it often being thoughts that Hedgehogs are herbivores they are actually meat eaters.
10. In 2006, McDonald’s changed the design of their McFlurry to be more Hedgehog friendly. Before that they were often getting their heads stuck in the lids!
Do you have any fun Hedgehog facts that we have missed? Comments below or let us know on Facebook or Twitter!