Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Gluten Free Jam Tarts
Whether you’re gluten intolerant or just want to try something new, this simple, gluten-free recipe will do just the trick. Your kids will love to help you make these colourful jam tarts and will enjoy eating them after as well!
• 110g brown rice flour
• 110g cornmeal
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 110g cold butter, diced (for dairy free use hard baking margarine)
• 1 whole beaten egg mixed with 1 tbsp water
• For sweet pastry, add 70g caster sugar
• 340g raspberry, strawberry, blackcurrant or apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
2. Make the pastry and let it chill for 20 minutes (you can find the pastry recipe here).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry to 3mm thick. Cut out as many circles as you can with a 7.5cm fluted pastry cutter. Bring the remaining pastry together, roll out again and cut out more circles.
4. Line the holes of a muffin tin with the circles of pastry and place 1 heaped teaspoon of jam into each. Do not overfill with jam.
5. Bake the jam tarts on the middle shelf of the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and light brown.
6. Run a knife around the hot tarts and lift them out with a palette knife onto a wire rack to cool.
If you want to try some more gluten-free recipes then head over to Genius’ website for more ideas!