Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Here at UKMums.tv we see any occasion as a reason to bake, and Halloween is no exception! These fudgy chocolate spider web cupcakes are a great for Halloween!
Ingredients- makes 12 large muffins or 20 smaller cupcakes
• 100g Dark Chocolate
• 170g butter
• 2 tbsp Milk or cold coffee
• 400g Self raising Flour
• 1 tsp bicarb powder
• 170g brown sugar
• 100g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 280ml soured cream
For the topping
• 200g Dark or milk chocolate
• 200g White chocolate
• You could also use Halloween coloured “ Candy Melts”
1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Break 100g of dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl, add the butter and Milk or Coffee. Melt in the microwave on Medium for 30-45 seconds (or set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water). Stir and leave the mixture to cool.
2. Mix the flour, bicarb and both sugars in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another bowl and stir in the soured cream, then pour this on the flour mixture and add the cooled chocolate. Stir.
3. Spoon the mixture into the cases to about three quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen. Leave to cool
For the topping,
1. Break the dark and white chocolate into separate bowls and melt in the microwave on Medium for 2 minutes (or over a pan as in step 1). Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate into two piping bags with thin nozzles.
2. Working with one muffin at a time, spread with dark chocolate from the bowl, letting it run down a bit, then pipe four concentric circles of white chocolate on top. Using a small skewer, drag through the circles at regular intervals, from the centre to the edge, to create a cobweb effect. Repeat with four more muffins. On the remaining five, spread over the white chocolate and decorate with the dark.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, October 2003