Let’s get active and improve our balance!
Balance is a great skill to help your child progress with their gross motor skills and aids with every day activities such as riding a bike, the Yvolution Y Velo Balance Bike range is a great way to improve your child’s confidence and ability when balancing. Try these other fun activities at home to help further your little one’s balancing skills- and yours too!
1. Simply stand on one foot! Make this into a contest with the whole family and see who can maintain their balance the longest. The person who wins gets to pick a family activity
2. Put two lines of tape on the ground and practice walking on a pretend balance beam. The space between the two pieces of tape could start large (6 inches) and progress to 4 inches apart. If your child steps out of bounds, he or she has to start again. By employing a balance beam that is flush with the ground, this will decrease any possible fear of falling. Once this becomes easier, utilize a real balance beam to work on more challenging balance skills.
3. Sit on an exercise ball while playing a board game at the table. Don’t let your child put his or her feet on the ground while playing unless they need to make sure they don’t fall.
4. Play hopscotch only while jumping on one foot. No switching feet is allowed! This makes the game slightly more challenging.
5. Stand on a trampoline with just one leg on the surface. To make this even more challenging, invite someone else to walk on the trampoline (or jump) while trying to keep your balance!
6. Try any of the above activities with your eyes closed. Balancing with your eyes closed is significantly harder than having your eyes open. Therefore, if your child has mastered all of the above activities, make it one step harder to keep them challenged!
The possibilities are endless! Get creative and make these activities easier or harder depending on your child’s progression of skills! Don’t forget that learning to ride a bike requires sureness when balancing, these activities and the Yvolution Y Velo Balance Bikes all help to build the skills needed to be a confident rider!
Want to get your hands on a Yvolution Balance Bike? Visit www.yvolution.com