Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Make your own doughnuts
Try this fun and simple doughnut recipe to recreate the popular funfair treat for your little ones.
Ingredients for the dough
• 50g fresh yeast
• 250ml tepid milk
• 50ml tepid water
• 3 tablespoons regular sugar
• 550–650g plain flour (don’t add the last 100 grams until the very end, and only if the dough is still sticky)
• 100g butter
• 3 eggs
• seeds from ½ vanilla bean ( optional- vanilla extract will do, but only use 1tsp)
• sunflower oil, for the frying
Sugar and cinnamon mixture:
• 1 -2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 250 g regular sugar
1. Dissolve the yeast in a bowl with the tepid milk, water and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Put the remaining sugar, the flour, butter, eggs and vanilla seeds into a mixing bowl. Add the yeast/milk mixture and mix (or knead if doing by hand ) until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Cover with a cloth and leave to prove and rise for 30-40 minutes
4. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and roll to about 1cm thick
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut you dough circles and then a smaller curter to create a hole in the middle
6. Cover the cut out doughnuts with a cloth and leave to prove for a further 20 minutes