Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Mini Pork Pies with Piccalilli
This easy to make recipe from Hoel Levieil makes 12 tasty mini pork pies with a piccalilli accompaniment and is courtesy of BBC Goodfood. If you want a tasty picnic-friendly treat, then get baking!
• 600 g shortcrust pastry, bought or homemade
• a few dots of butter
• 85 g dried white breadcrumbs
• 400 g good Cumberland sausages (about 6)
• 200 g smoked bacon lardons
• a little flour, for dusting
• ¼ tsp each ground mace, ground pepper and dried sage
• 1 egg, beaten with a fork
• few pinches sesame seeds
• piccalilli, homemade or bought, to serve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C⁰ fan/gas 6.
2. Line each hole of a 12-hole muffin tin with a thin strip of baking parchment across the middle, long enough so that the ends stick out a centimetre or two and use a dab of butter to stick in place.
3. Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 12 x 10 cm circles. Press a circle into each hole to line.
4. Sprinkle 1 tsp of breadcrumbs into the base of each pie.
5. Tip the rest of the crumbs into a mixing bowl and squeeze in the sausage meat, discarding the skins, along with the bacon, mace, pepper, sage and just a little salt.
6. Get your hands in and mash and squish everything together until the breadcrumbs have almost disappeared.
7. Divide the mixture between the 12 bases, packing in firmly and shaping to a dome in the middle.
8. Roll out the remaining pastry and stamp out 12 x 7 cm circles.
9. Brush with a little egg and add a top to each pie, egg-side down to stick, carefully pressing the pastry edges together to seal.
10. Brush with more egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes until golden then carefully remove the pies from the tin, using the parchment ends to help you lift them out.
11. Sit on a parchment lined baking tray, brush all around the sides with the remaining egg and put back in the oven for a further 8 minutes.
12. Cool completely then eat with piccalilli, or of course your own favourite pickle!