Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Mother’s Day Hat Biscuits
Whether as a bonding activity or an edible gift, these pretty hat biscuits are perfect for Mother’s Day.
• 180g plain flour
• 55g caster sugar
• 125g butter
• A pack of marshmallows
• 1 egg white
• 170g icing sugar
• ¼ tsp lemon juice
• Pink or yellow food colouring
• Sugar flowers and fizzy laces to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190°c.
2. Make your biscuits: beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the flour and work until the mixture comes together into dough. Add a splash of milk if it’s too dry.
3. Roll it out on a floured surface to about 1cm thick and cut out circle shapes using a 6cm scalloped cutter.
4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the icing: whisk the egg white until frothy. Gradually add the icing sugar until smooth and combined. Add the lemon juice.
6. Colour the icing either pale pink or yellow (you could do two colours if you like).
7. Cut ½ cm off the bottom of each marshmallow.
8. When the biscuits are cool add your icing into a disposable piping bag.
9. Pipe a little icing onto the cut side of the marshmallows, placing one icing side down in the centre of each biscuit.
10. Pipe icing over the marshmallow allowing it to run down the side and then add some more to the biscuit, using a knife to spread it around.
11. Place a small length of fizzy lace around each marshmallow to act as a ribbon.
12. Use a little icing to attach a sugar flower onto it too.
13. Leave to set for an hour and serve.