News + Gossip Mum
New Year’s Hangover – no trouble!
Happy New Year! How’s your head feeling? If like us you are suffering a little today then follow our tips on beating your hangover so you can enjoy the last of the festive period properly!
1. Drink lots of water – We thought we would get the obvious one out of the way! Drinking alcohol stops the body from creating a chemical called vasopressin, which means your kidneys send water straight to your bladder instead of absorbing into the body. Drinking more water than normal if the best way to rehydrate and kill your head ache!
2. Eat eggs first thing – Eggs have a high concentration of amino acid called L-cysteine, which helps your body more readily breakdown excess acetaldehyde and in turn eliminates some of those hangover symptoms.
3. Pain Killers – Another obvious choice for curing a hangover. Ease a pounding head with a pill, but stick to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
4. Drink Bouillon soup – A thin vegetable-based broth, is a good source of vitamins and minerals, which can top up depleted resources. Its main advantage is it's easy for a fragile stomach to digest!
What to avoid!
1. "Hair of the dog" – drinking more alcohol does not help! Drinking in the morning is a risky habit, and you may simply be delaying the appearance of symptoms until the alcohol wears off again.
2. Greasy foods – while you might crave Pizza, chips and anything bad for you when you’re feeling a little fragile, heading to the local greasy spoon is not a great idea. Fried foods can irritate the stomach. On the other hand, chowing down on a big burger before the liquor starts flowing can help insulate the stomach, preventing alcohol from being absorbed into the stomach lining and bloodstream.
What are your hangover tips and cures? Let us know over on social media!