Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Potato Gnocchi al Pesto Recipe
This dish is yummy, we’d definitely recommend this as something for you to try at home.
Potato Gnocchi al Pesto
A top tip from Simone Remoli himself
“The secret to the perfect pesto is to keep the colour as green as possible! And it may seem obvious but mixing the ingredients in the correct and a very specific order is essential for achieving unforgettable taste.”
For the pesto
• 100g Ligurian basil leaves
• 40g pine nuts
• 120g Pecorino Romano cheese
• 100g extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves of garlic
1. Insert the basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts and the Pecorino Romano cheese into an electric mixer.
2. Turn on the mixer at a slow speed, for a few seconds. Start to pour in your extra virgin olive oil slowly. Do this until the pesto has a creamy consistency.
3. Give the pesto a mix and taste to see if your pesto needs any salt. Then add accordingly if so.
For the Potato Gnocchi
• 1kg of red potatoes
• 300g plain flour
• 1 whole egg
• 15g salt
1. Cook the potatoes for 25/30 minutes in boiling salt water. Check with a knife to see when the potato is cooked.
2. Peel the potato whilst it’s still hot and put your peeled potatoes in a deep bowl. Beat the potatoes with a fork until you have a soft mixture.
3. Mix your potato with the flour and egg and kneed the mix for 15 to 20 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and doesn’t stick to your hand.
4. If you need to, add no more than 50g of flour at a time, until you’re satisfied with your mixture.
5. Divide the dough in small balls and roll them up to create strips with a centimetre in width.
6. Cut your gnocchi into mini 1cm x 1cm square.
7. Cook your gnocchi balls in salted boiling water until they rise to the top of the water. This should take around approx. 1 minute.
8. A decent one person portion is around 200g of gnocchi, which you join with a large spoon of cold pesto and a spoon of hot water.
9. Mix everything in a bowl with a handful of parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
…and there you have it, Buon appetitio!