Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Ingredients for muffins
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225g carrots
- Grated zest of 1 orange (2 teaspoons)
- 120g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for Icing
- 175g cream cheese
- 130g raisins
- 450g icing sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g unsalted butter
- 130g golden caster sugar
- Grated zest 1 orange
- 120ml corn oil
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
Method for muffins
- Preheat oven to 160oC (fan)/ 180oC / gas Mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Peel and grate carrots, draining off any liquid. Combine the grated carrots and raisins in a large bowl using a wooden spoon and then put to one side.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together for several minutes. Then add the oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and beat well.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl and gradually add these ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour this mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and raisins and incorporate using a wooden spoon until they are evenly blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes. (the cupcakes will be dark brown in colour and feel ‘spongy’ to touch). Remove from the oven and leave muffins in the tray for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool.
Method for icing
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl (cream cheese, icing sugar, butter, zest of orange) and beat well until thoroughly combined and the icing is smooth and pale.
- Decorate top of muffins with icing and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- (Muffins must be stored in fridge when finished until ready to eat.
To find out more visit nickjr.co.uk/play