Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Quick and Easy: Tagliatelle Carbonara
I'm all for meals that you can whip up in under half an hour and this relatively simple carbonara is fantastically versatile. Delicious for a dinner party but equally as yummy for a mid-week meal, where you can swap and change the ingredients based on your little ones' tastes, this is my favourite recipe for an Italian classic:
450 g (1lb) tagliatelle (sorry masterchefs, we can’t make our own pasta!)
100 g (4 oz) smoked rindless bacon, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150 ml (1/4 pint) single cream
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
50 g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
salt and pepper to season
How to Cook
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add your tagliatelle.
2. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook your tagliatelle for 10 - 12 minutes until just tender (or per the packet instructions). For a true Italian experience cook until ‘al dente’ or until it still has some bite in it – we don’t want slipperly and rubbery pasta!
3. Drain and place in a serving dish and cover to keep warm.
4. In the meantime (or whilst your pasta is simmering for faster results) fry the bacon in the oil until crispy and reduce the heat.
5. Add the eggs, cream, parsley, seasoning to taste and half of the Parmesan to the pan of bacon.
6. Heat the mix gently for a few minutes and keep stirring so it doesn’t boil. The eggs should scramble slightly in the heat and the sauce should be pourable – but not overly runny.
7. Once complete pour the sauce over the pasta, then sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.
• If you’re like us and unsure on the amount of pasta, measure it out so you have a bowl per person – just remember pasta expands when cooking!
• You can get fancy by adding more ingredients if you like, we try pancetta, onions, shallots, garlic and mushrooms for a little extra bite.