Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
California Prune and Chocolate Tart Recipe
We love a good dessert here at UKMums.tv so why not try this scrumptious California Prune and Chocolate Tart courtesy of Rosemary Shrager!
Ingredients for the sweet pastry:
• 250g plain flour
• 125g unsalted butter, soft cubes
• 75g caster sugar
• 2 medium eggs
• 1 tablespoon cold water
• 20cm tart tin/flat bottom flan tin
1. Put the sugar, egg and cold water into a bowl and whisk.
2. Put the flour onto a work surface and make a hole in the centre. Add the butter and gradually crumble into the flour.
3. Combine with the egg mixture, using a fork.
4. Gradually knead into a pastry dough until it is smooth. Be careful not to over knead.
5. Make into a cylinder shape, wrap in cling film and put into the fridge for an hour before rolling.
6. Butter the inside of the tart/flan tin.
7. Put the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a large round approx. 3 mm thick.
8. Line the tin with the pastry, leaving 1 cm overlapping the edges and prick all over with a fork.
9. To blind bake, line the pastry with a large piece of scrunched up greaseproof paper, getting it into all of the corners and edges and then fill with baking beans or rice.
10. Cook in a preheated oven at 200 C for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the paper, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
Ingredients for the prune and chocolate filling:
• 15 California Prunes
• 300ml light syrup
• 100ml Masala
• 200g butter
• 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
• 2 medium eggs
• 3 egg yolks
• 80g sugar
1. Cook the California Prunes in the syrup and Masala for 10 minutes; allow to steep for a couple of hours or overnight if possible.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
3. Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar to combine.
4. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
5. Drain the prunes well and place into the tart, then carefully cover with the chocolate mixture.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 150 C for 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Check tart is smooth and creamy with a slight wobble, just setting. If it isn’t, cook for a little longer until it is.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for an hour at room temperature.