Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Strawberry & Almond Cheesecake Sponge
We wanted an easy but tasty summer dessert and cheesecake is a particular favourite here at UKMums.tv. We came across this fantastic recipe on the BBC Good Food website for a cheesecake sponge - two of our favourites in one go! It takes about 25 minutes to prepare and then one hour to cook. It’s different, but really scrumptious and we’re sure you’ll agree!
• 175g really soft butter, plus extra for greasing
• 250g caster sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 200g self-raising flour
• 50g ground almonds
• 75g full-fat natural yoghurt
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 250g strawberries, hulled and sliced
• Handful of flaked, toasted almonds
For the cheesecake blobs:
• 200g full-fat cream cheese
• 25g caster sugar
• 1 large egg
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a deep 23 cm cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, yoghurt, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and beat together using an electric hand whisk until smooth.
3. Put half the cake mixture into the tin, then scatter with half the strawberries. Create dips in the mixture using the back of a teaspoon and drop in spoonsful of cheesecake mixture - saving about half for the top. Carefully cover with the remaining cake mixture, so as not to disturb the cheesecake and strawberries below. Scatter with the remaining strawberries and add the remaining cheesecake mixture as before.
4. Scatter with almonds and bake for 50 minutes/1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes in the tin before turning out.
5. Delicious served warm or cold, but don’t take our word for it - try it out for yourself!