Dad paralysed by the Manchester bomb blast has regained movement in legs!
On 22nd May 2017, a bomb attack took place at Manchester Arena following an Ariana Grande convert it sadly left 500 people injured and 23 people killed.
Amongst the injured was Martin Hibbert, 41 who was the closest person to the explosion who survived and he has been told to prepare for a lifetime in a wheelchair, but he had other ideas. With the help of radical therapy he has regained some of the movement doctors thought had been lost for ever - talk about a Monday miracle!
Martin told of the incredible moment he saw his toes wiggling, only hours after he started the specialised treatment in Australia just 10 months after the attack that shattered his life.
By the third day of treatment, Martin was able to pull himself into a standing position and hold the pose. At the end of the two-week stint, he had mastered cycling, crossing his legs, kneeling on all fours and even crawling.
On his final session last week, Martin said feeling had even started to return to his toes, legs and lower abdomen. He said “I could feel my toes being pinched, with the sensation travelling all the way up my feet and legs.”
Martin reflected on how the situation could have been and said “The way I look at it I’m incredibly lucky to be alive. To still be here, to have none of those bolts hit any of my vital organs, is amazing.
And I’ve always been determined and driven, so when doctors showed me the X-ray of my spine it was a case of, ‘How dare you say I am never going to walk again? I’ll show you.’ That’s the type of person I am.
Moral of the story? When you think you can’t do something, tell yourself and your kids nothing is impossible. If Martin can gain sensation back into his legs after being told he’d be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life then you can succeed at anything. Just believe!