Let’s get baking with Glimmies™
Everyone loves to bake and it’s even more fun with your little ones in tow! So why not have a go at baking these magical rainbow cupckaes! It’s so easy to do!
Recipe Credit – www.bbc.co.uk
For the rainbow cupcakes
240g/8½oz plain flour
240g/8½oz golden caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
80g/2¾oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
240ml/8½fl oz whole milk
2 medium free-range eggs
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
4 food colourings of your choice (such as red, yellow, green and blue)
For the vanilla buttercream
250g/9oz unsalted butter, room temperature
500g/1lb 2oz icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
multi-coloured hundred and thousands
24 glacé cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/160C Fan/Gas 3. Line two 12-hole cupcake trays with cupcake cases.
2. For the cupcakes, beat the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter together in a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk). Mix in half the milk until it is just incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and remaining milk together. Pour into the flour mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the batter equally between four bowls and colour each one with food colouring, so you end up with four brightly coloured bowls of cake mixture.
5. Now layer the coloured mixtures in the cupcake cases. Starting with one colour, divide the mixture equally between the cupcake cases and smooth it out so you have a layer at the bottom. Continue with all the other colours in the same way, evenly spreading each layer out and being careful not to mix the colours together, so that you end up with distinct layers of mixture.
6. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.