Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Ellie’s Kitchen Vegan Coconut Shortbread
Ellie from Ellie’s Kitchen challenged herself to come up with a number of original vegan recipes for her vegan month last August and this is one of the successes. We love how close these come to the original non-vegan version, so go on and give them a go!
Ingredients – makes about 20
• 225g Flora Freedom Coconut and Almond Spread
• 100g caster sugar
• 350g plain flour – plus extra for dusting
• Around 150g dark chocolate (most dark chocolate is vegan but not all carry a vegan trademark).
• Desiccated coconut to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Cream the Flora spread together with the sugar.
3. Sieve in the flour and combine into the wet mix to make a paste, and then finally a ball of dough. You may need to get your hands in to finish it off!
4. Flour a cool surface and a rolling pin then roll out the dough to around ½ cm thick – or thicker if you like! Cut into whatever shape you like.
5. Arrange the cut outs on a baking tray that has been lined with grease proof paper.
6. Bake the biscuits until lightly golden brown. This will take between 12-18 minutes depending on how thin you made them. Just keep an eye out!
7. Set the biscuits aside on a wire rack to cool off fully.
8. When the biscuits are cool, melt down your chocolate in the microwave (cheat alert!)
9. It’s time to dip! I dipped just half of each round because I think it looks nice but it’s up to you!
10. Sprinkle over some desiccated coconut onto the melted chocolate.
11. Leave to cool completely, preferably overnight.
Tip: Don’t put them in the fridge to cool, as this will cause the chocolate to become dull and lose its shine.
For more recipes from Ellie’s Kitchen click here.