Food + Drink Mum
Move over Michel Roux Jr, we've got our very own Masterchef who is on hand to bring you everything from low-cost and low-cal food ideas to mouth-watering recipes and meals in minutes. Bon Appetit!
Filippo Berio Olive Oil, Chocolate and Sea Salt Cupcakes
We all love cupcakes but have you ever tried making them with olive oil instead of butter? Good olive oil can really elevate a dish into something special and substituting it for the butter in these cupcakes helps to make them light and moist, as well as giving them a subtle nutty flavour which compliments the super sweet frosting. Why not give them a go? Try out this easy recipe, courtesy of Ellie's Kitchen.
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
• 3 large eggs
• 1 ½ large egg yolk
• 165 g caster sugar
• 180 ml Classic Filippo Berio Olive Oil
• 128 g self-raising flour
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 tsp orange essence (optional but a nice addition!)
• 1 batch of Chocolate Cloud Frosting (see below)
• Sea salt flakes for garnish
For the Chocolate Cloud Frosting:
• 500 g icing sugar
• 200 g dark chocolate
• 90 ml double cream
• 455 g butter, softened
Method – to make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until they’re pale in colour and frothy.
3. Add the olive oil and orange essence slowly while whisking on a low speed and mix thoroughly.
4. Now sieve in the flour and add the salt. Fold gently to combine.
5. Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases.
TIP: Use a ‘trigger’ ice cream scoop to do this – one scoop is the perfect amount for each case and it’s mess free and easy too!
6. Put the mix in the oven to bake for around 18-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
7. While the cupcakes are cooking, make your frosting.
Method – to make the frosting:
1. Soften the butter in a bowl until it’s light and creamy.
2. Add the cream and icing sugar and mix thoroughly until smooth and light – around 5 minutes.
3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Once melted, stir to cool it down a little. Once cool to the touch, add the chocolate to the buttercream mix and combine.
4. If the frosting is too soft, put it in the fridge for 5 minutes until it thickens.
To finish the cupcakes:
1. Pipe, swirl or spoon the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and finish with a sprinkling of sea salt flakes to balance out the sweetness. This will also bring out the flavour of the olive oil.